Why study Sociology?
Sociology is the study of society; we look at how and why individuals learn to act the way they do and why there are inequalities in our society. Sociology inspires students to reflect upon the world we live in, fostering an understanding of the inter-relationships between individuals, groups, institutions, and societies.
It enables students to develop critical thinking and appreciate theoretical and conceptual issues.
At LMI, we study the AQA GCSE syllabus over two years with seven core themes
• The sociological approach
• Social structures, social processes and social issues
• Crime and deviance
• Social stratification
• Sociological research methods
At LMI we study the A Level AQA syllabus of Sociology over two years with five broad themes:
1. Education with Methods and Context
2. Research Methods and Topics in Sociology and Family and Households.
3. Education with Theory and Methods.
4. Culture and Identity.
5. Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods
Both courses focus on the four core skills: Applying sociology theories, critical analysis, evaluation, and research.