Why study english?
It’s easy to see just how important English is around the world. Many international businesses conduct meetings in English, universities teach courses in English and, around the world, tourists and travellers use English as a common language.
But how did English become so important? Well, it all goes back to the British Empire, which at its peak covered 25% of the earth’s surface. During colonial times, British rulers often obliged the people in those countries to speak English rather than their native language. Although the origins of English as a global language has a complicated past, the language has left an important mark on media, trade and business.
Reasons to Study English!
1. English is a global language.
2. Studying English can help you get a job.
3. Learning English can help you meet new people.
4. Many scientific papers are written in English, so it will help at university.
5. English is the language of the media industry.
6. English is the language of the internet.
7. Traveling is a lot easier with a good knowledge of English.
8. English is one of the most important languages for business.
9. With English, you can study all over the world.
10. English gives you access to multiple cultures.
At LMI we offer 3 different pathways for English as a subject:
• GCSE English Language
• A-Level English Literature
English is a core subject in British schools, so all students that join us in Key Stage 4 will be required to take English.
We also require ALL new students to take an English aptitude test before admission to LMI as all of our teaching (apart from Spanish Language GCSE and A-Level) are completed through the medium of English language.